Tuesday, January 16, 2007

e-mail 1/8/7

Recently I have been made even more aware of the importance of my faith in Jesus Christ and what I am willing to do and even what I am not willing to do as an Christian. Some that do not know me will probably think I am a nut or a fanatic. What others choose to think is all right because I choose to be "crazy about my Lord, Jesus Christ. I find that I can sit with anybody and tell them how much Jesus loves them and how they can know Him but when it comes to talking about "Oh how I love Him" the tears come".

When I think about "the Old Rugged Cross" and what it cost for me to have eternal life, my tears well up and the adequate words do not always want to come. How can we not life out hand and hearts when we sing, "Holy, Holy, Holy" if we know the One we sing about? How can we be so flippant when we sing, "What can wash away my sins, nothing but the blood of Jesus?

Many years ago, Bob and I use to attend the Sunday School leadership conferences at Ridgecrest, North Carolina to learn how to be better Sunday School leaders and a better Minister of Education. There was a lady (that I will not name) every year that would sing "Listen to the hammer ring, and praise Jesus". I hated that song with a passion! Instead of feeling like doing any praising, I only wanted to cry during the song because they had someone in the background hitting a hammer on a nail and it echoed through the building and it stills makes me cry to know that my Lord endured that pain for me. He did not deserve that pain He went through. I did! NO! NO! NO! Not HIM! I cannot praise His pain. I am grateful for the love that He endured on the cross for me but to be thankful for his pain, "Oh Father, please forgive us for our carelessness and not understanding and even listening to such". (I did not applaud by the way.)

For many years I have told my Sunday school classes that they needed to be obedient and committed to Jesus - 100% all the way. Saying we love the church for which He did and making feeble or careless excuses for not coming to hear God word does not make us honest in loving the church. Whatever preacher, deacon or other uncommitted person came up with the idea that Sunday evenings were not for worship should have to listen to the tears of Jesus as He looked out over the city of Jerusalem and wept. Why do you think Jesus wept over the city He loved? I have spent a little time thinking about it and it had to be that His heart was breaking because of the sincere love that He had for them and they took His love like trash and trampled it underfoot. What would He think if He were standing outside our door at any moment of our worship time? Suppose even if he were seated on the cross in the baptistry, I wonder how many people in the congregation would even notice or it would make a difference. What would be His reaction and who would care?

I have heard people at a church lately tell me that if they had discipleship training at the church like they have for Sunday School from 6-7PM and a full Worship Service from 7-8PM that they would come but just for a short 6-7PM service was not worth the effort. I can't say for certain that the people would come or not. I think it all comes down to church leadership and church members who loves Jesus 100% with all their heart, soul and mind and is willing to make a real commitment to put Christ first in all they do. We may think we are getting by but I just read recently that God is keeping records and everything we do is being recorded in the Book of Life. 99%'rs may have themselves convinced that they are alright but when that day comes they may hear "sorry, I never knew you." Jesus doesn't care about your church membership or how many classes you teach or how many committees you have served on. He cares about your love and obedience to Him. He cares about your testimony even when you aren't noticing that somebody else is. Remember your neighbors notice when you are not in church on Sunday nights and Wednesday and that is a testimony and it counts. Your words count and your actions count.

None of us are perfect but as we strive for that perfection we find that we will make fewer and fewer excuses for our lack of obedience and our stubbornness for not being faithful to the church for which He died. I am one happy wife who has a husband who will call around and find a church that is having worship services when our home church calls services off for a mortal holiday. He has my utmost love and respect and I know that his heart is always going to be pleasing to the Father by his actions and that will make him most pleasing to meIt is all about knowing God, knowing His will and

Sharing His Love,

Peggy

No comments: